This rich and flavorful sausage and cheese biscuit recipe will be on your next camping or weekend menu, I promise. Savory browned sausage and sharp cheddar cheese fill every bite of the biscuit. Made with your basic pantry ingredients plus a few from the fridge, these biscuits come together in minutes.
I love when two ingredients come together, like biscuits and sausage. Once, when I was camping all I wanted was biscuits and gravy. But I didn’t want to go through the hassle of the cleanup. I placed my camp Dutch oven over the fire and cooked up a bit of ground pork sausage. I added a few extra spices to bring out the rich and slightly spicy flavor it has. More black pepper, a bit of cayenne and then a touch of garlic, all items I have in my camper’s pantry. To the flour for the biscuits I added a bit of grated smoked gouda cheese, added the cooked sausage, and poured in the buttermilk. Gently and carefully I mixed the ingredients then I turned the dough out pressed it a bit and cut out the biscuit rounds. I carefully greased the inside of my camp Dutch oven and placed the cut biscuits next to each other, covered the pot, added the hot coals and in about 15 minutes I was enjoying a savory biscuit with my coffee by a campfire.
Once I was home, I fine-tuned this recipe. I swapped the gouda for sharp cheddar cheese then I added a bit of dried chives. They add a light onion flavor to pair with the garlic. Then, I grated the frozen butter instead of cutting it into the flour. These changes helped develop incredible flavor, and a very tender biscuit. You can easily swap the sausage for cooked bacon, pancetta and crisp cooked prosciutto. The cheese can be any kind that you enjoy, jalapeno jack would add a fantastic bit of heat.
If you enjoy this recipe, the following would compliment it perfectly
- Makes 12-14
- 4 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, frozen
- 2 cup cold buttermilk
- 16 ounces cooked sausage, broken into small pieces, and cooled
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, gouda or parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoons dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- On a piece of parchment grate the butter using the large holes, place grated butter back into the freezer.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat, add the sausage to the pan and cook until its no longer pink. Use a wooden spoon to break up any large pieces. Remove the sausage from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- In a large bowl, add the flour and shredded cheese, toss well to coat the cheese with flour, next add in the chives, parsley, salt, pepper, garlic and cayenne. Mix well.
- Add the grated butter to the flour and quickly toss to coat.
- Add in the buttermilk and mix with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 3-6 times until the dough comes together.
- Dust the rolling pin with flour and roll out the dough out into a rectangle shape and 1-inch thickness.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 12 squares, place the cut biscuits on the lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top of the biscuits are golden brown.