I love the bright taste of a kale salad, the crisp crunch then the slightly acidic bite, it’s so refreshing. This is a salad recipe I have been making for years, especially when my home garden is bursting with kale plants the deer have not eaten. I love the curly, lacy leaves of the curly kale variety. Then the tall and slender blue green leaves of Tuscan kale. Not only is it delicious in this salad it is fantastic grilled with a touch of olive oil and salt and pepper.
There is a simple trick that softens the flavor and will have you make this recipe repeatedly. Taking the time to massage the chopped kale with your fingers before you add any other ingredients will surprise you. The tough leaves soften and the deep green color that develops will amaze you.
The addition of dried fruits adds in a delicious pop of fruit flavor. A favorite dried fruit of mine is dried cranberries with orange zest, you can find them at Trader Joe’s or your local grocery store.
I grow a large amount of fresh herbs at my home garden. Some of my favorites are basil, rosemary, parsley, oregano and cilantro. But with this salad, rosemary and oregano would be too strong to use in the dressing. The soft leaf or stem herbs are the best.
This salad is best made the day of serving and if you have to make it a few hours in advance, don’t add the dressing until you will serve it or the leaves will become over saturated and wilt. Enjoy this bright, crisp, and healthy salad at your next gathering. It will be a hit!
- Salad Ingredients
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 8 ounces chopped kale ((Tuscan or curly)
- 1 bag broccoli slaw salad mix
- ½ cup dried cranberries, blueberries, raisins or dried cherries
- Salad Dressing
- ¼ cup fresh chopped herbs (parsley, chives, basil, cilantro)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Bragg's apple cider vinegar or natural apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons granulated sugar, agave or honey
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Place chopped kale in a large bowl, with clean hands, massage kale until leaves become soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the broccoli slaw mix, pine nuts, dried cranberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and fresh herbs until blended. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat.