Eating a filling breakfast while you’re out camping is essential, its the most important meal of the day. Having a breakfast that is full of flavor and is quick to prepare is the only way to go. One that fills you up and gives you a good amount of energy until lunch time is key. Quick cooking oats helps make this breakfast oatmeal ready in under 5 minutes. Adding dried fruit, nuts and spices like cinnamon and ginger make every bite a delicious.
We have created your base oatmeal recipe and in addition we have given you quite a few ideas for creating the perfect cup of oatmeal while you are out exploring. These can be made ahead of time; all you need to do is measure out the ingredients and keep them in a heat safe jar with a lid like these from Weck. The oatmeal mix will last up to 6 months in your pantry.
- ½ cup Quaker Quick 1- minute oats
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ground ginger or apple pie spice mix
- Pinch of sea salt
- Bring water to a boil, measure out ½ cup for thick oatmeal or ¾ cup of water for a thinner porridge like consistency. Cover and let sit for 2 minutes, stir well before eating.
- For microwave instructions: using a microwave safe container add 2/3 cup of water to mix, stir well and cover loosely. Cook for two minutes, carefully remove from microwave, the container will be hot. Allow to sit for 1 minutes, stir and eat.
- Additional Ingredients: Honey, candied ginger, maple syrup, chia seeds, candied pecans, chai spices or pumpkin seeds