Crisp and Crunchy Cornmeal Waffles
The Secret Ingredients
Save Yourself Some Time
Light and airy with the perfect crisp, these waffles can be made ahead of time and placed in the freezer for up to a month, all you need to do is reheat them in an oven, toaster oven or a cast iron pan.
- 2 ½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups corn meal (yellow or white)
- 4 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 3 room temperature large eggs plus one egg white
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Pre heat your waffle iron and spray-cooking surface with non-stick spray while it is warming up.
- In a small bowl whisk one egg white until it is foamy and has soft peaks, set aside.
- In a medium bowl add all the wet ingredients but do not add the whisked egg white yet.
- In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix well to distribute all the spices.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients; mix with a whisk until just combined. Now add in the beaten egg white and slowly mix into the batter, do not over mix, there will be whipped egg white streaks still visible and some lumps in the batter.
- Spoon anywhere from ¼ cup to ½ cup of the batter into the hot waffle iron, smooth the batter so it reaches all the edges and cook until golden in color and crisp.
- Stack the cooked waffles on a plate and drizzle the warm Blackberry Syrup over it.